Our Church History

A look at the people and events that have shaped the Beech Creek Wesleyan Church into what it is today – and what it will be into the future for many years to come.

  • The Reverend W.E. Straub and The Reverend Dubendorf began holding religious services in the Beech Creek area prior to 1921, but met with opposition from numerous sources.
  • October 16, 1921: The Reverends Straub and Dubendorf organized as International Holiness Church of Beech Creek.
  • May 5, 1922: Trustees Harry Confer, Ray Bullock, Maude Confer, Fred Bechdel, Harris Bechdel, Russell Knarr and Clara Wilson purchased a home and a lot at the corner of Main Street and Maple Avenue for $900.00. The 1st floor of the home was used for worship services and the 2nd floor for the ministers home. This home now serves as the parsonage for our church.
  • May 1933: The church board voted to buy a building from the Scootac Mining Company which had ceased operations at Bear Swamp. The building chosen had housed the mine superintendent and was purchased for $100.00. The building had to be torn down, moved to the current lot and erected as a church. The cornerstone of the existing church building bears the date 1933.
  • May 1935: An $800.00 loan was approved to complete the reconstruction of the church building.
  • June 26, 1968: The denomination name changed from Pilgrim Holiness Church to the Wesleyan Church.
  • 1977: The addition was added to the rear of the parsonage which provided a classroom/fellowship area on the first floor and additional bedrooms on the 2nd floor.
  • 1996: The Edward Mace memorial provided funds to begin a “makeover” of the church with new pews and lighting fixtures. This turned into the “Nehemiah Project”, in which the whole congregation contributed funds and/or labor towards new carpet, wallpaper, paint and window dressings.
  • 2007: The congregation purchased a 4.4 acre lot a short distance down the road from the existing church with the intention that it would someday serve as the home for Beech Creek Wesleyan Church.
  • May 2010: A “Building for Life” campaign was kicked off in order to start funding for the Beech Creek Wesleyan Church Building Project and was off to an awesome start with “Miracle Sunday” donations & commitments totaling over $400,000.00 for a three year period starting June 1st.
  • May 2011: In the beginning of the month a groundbreaking service was held on the property of the new church facility dedicating the ground to the work of the Lord and at the end of the month ground was broken with heavy equipment and construction had begun.
  • June 2011: A missions team from the Carlisle Brethren in Christ church utilized many, many hands to convert a large empty concrete slab on the earth to a fully standing structure with walls and a roof within one week of work. The awesome vision of the new church facility was now a reality that you could actually touch and walk inside of.
  • January 2012: With completion of the new Beech Creek Wesleyan Church facility in view the sale of the existing church and parsonage was agreed upon and quickly had buyers in line.
  • February 2012: After many months of laboring by many different parties both internal and external to the church and a few hurtles that only prayer could have gotten us past; the new Beech Creek Wesleyan Church facility was awarded occupancy and held it’s first service on Sunday February 19th.

Read More: BCW Church Building Project